Heart Smart Foods for Seniors.
As we celebrate National Heart Month, we’re reminded how interrelated nutrition and heart disease are. Your heart works around the clock for you as it pumps blood and oxygen to all of your organs. If it doesn’t get the care it deserves, problems can develop in the lining of the arteries leading to plaque formation. This plaque formation can cause a heart attack and blockage of blood flow in the arteries.
Being proactive to keep your body in the best shape possible can keep your heart functioning well. Heart-healthy eating is both achievable and enjoyable. With planning and creativity in place, you can boost your heart health and enhance your peace of mind.
Take a look at these heart-healthy foods for seniors:
- Berries. From blueberries to strawberries, fresh delicious fruits are loaded with fiber and antioxidants. They’re also an easy-to-grab or pack snack.
- Salmon. Broiled, grilled, baked or sauteed, salmon is packed with omega-3s, which lower triglycerides and slow down the rate of artery hardening.
- Spinach. Not just for salads and a cooked side dish, spinach is wonderful piled on a sandwich. The leafy green veggie is beneficial to eye and heart health.
- Walnuts. A great way to boost protein and lower cholesterol, a handful of walnuts is brimming with valuable omega-3s.
- Avocado. This fruit has exploded in popularity and is high in monounsaturated fat which helps reduce LDL, the “bad” kind of cholesterol.
- Oats. A warm bowl full of oatmeal is a soothing way to start the day. It can help you manage your cholesterol which can lower your risk for heart disease. Oats are also full of fiber and protein which can help keep you full longer.
In addition to the items listed above, what kind of food can a heart patient eat? Review this handy list before you go shopping. Once you know how to identify which foods are the most beneficial, you’ll be on your way to creating a nutrition-packed diet. Tips for healthy eating for seniors are included in this infographic from the National Council on Aging:
Victory Hills Senior Living offers beautiful, budget-friendly accommodations with fully equipped kitchens where you can make meals a healthy dining experience. You’ll find like-minded, 55+ neighbors to socialize with before and after your meals in our attractive common areas. Contact us to schedule a time to discuss your senior living meals.